Olive Oil Gelato - Recipe
One of our favorite memories as kids is eating ice cream on a hot summer afternoon and it’s so easy to make at home! We love gelato in place of ice cream for its silky texture due to the lower fat content. The addition of ANY Flavored Olive Oil adds a mellow green flavor that contrasts the sweetness of the gelato. Take this childhood favorite treat to the next level
...Prep Time: 4-12 hours- Cook Time: 0 minutes- Total Time: 4-12 hours
- 24 hours before wanting Gelato: Place ice cream maker in freezer and prepare the gelato base by following steps 2-8. OR( BUY GELATO )
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and cream to a low simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, using a hand mixer, beat egg yolks, sugar, and salt together until pale in color and light and fluffy in texture, about 30 seconds.
- While whisking, add a small amount of the warmed milk to the egg mixture, about ¼ cup, to temper the eggs. Pour the egg mixture back in with the remaining milk.
- Over low heat, cook the gelato base, stirring constantly until thickened, about 3 minutes. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Run the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl to remove any lumps.
- Whisk in olive oil until well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap, touching the mixture with wrap to prevent a film from forming. Place the gelato base in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours but overnight is best.
- To prepare the gelato follow the manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream machine. Once frozen, enjoy immediately (super soft) or place in an airtight container and freeze up to 6 months (scoopable)!
- To serve drizzle with a little olive oil and finish with a pinch of sea salt.